U.S. Air Force Turns 67
By: Lea Hensel
September 18, 2014
It has been 67 years since the official date that the U.S. Air Force was founded. When President Truman signed the National Security Act in 1947, the U.S. Air Force was created as an independent service, equal to the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy.
Did you know that before this happened the Air Force went through five designations?
- Aeronautical Section, Signal Corps (1909)
- Aviation Section, Signal Corps (1914)
- United States Army Air Service (1918)
- United States Army Air Corps (1926)
- United States Army Air Forces (1941)
The STAR4D program is honored to have worked with so many in the U.S. Air Force. Thank you to all of those that have served, are serving and will serve in the future.
Be sure to watch the video below from the U.S. Air Force honoring its birthday!